Tuesday, June 12, 2007

WE are important

Hey everybody,

As always, I cannot hold back and I have to add a few things.
Most important I also want to express how much I enjoyed the Youth Week. It was such a big pleasure meeting so many cool, nice, funny, intelligent,.... people and work together with them. As it was mentioned before, our emotions are a key element. All the joy, after having a good talk in the working group, all the fun after a good Hoegarden in the garden, all the sadness after hearing of problems some young people face because of stupid things, all the frustration after working an entire night on a paper just so that a rapporteur who could have changed it finally votes against it without prior critics, all these emotions made such this event so special.

It's such meetings that make me optimist about the future of Europe. After all, "Europe - that's all of us" was the sub-title of my working-group, and this is my hope. There are many good things happening in Europe, and many bad things, but if WE work together, we can change it for a better future. There is an african proverb saying: "If many little people In many little places Do many little deeds They can change the face of the Earth", and this is our task. In a song by the german band "Die Ärzte" (maybe some of you know them) they say (in german of course, I hope my translation will be any good): "It's not your fault that the world is at it is, but It's your fault if the world stays like this". Well you get the idea.

During one our working sessions Aleksandar from Macedonia told me about the concept of Ubuntu, and I love it. Here's how Desmond Tutu describes it:

"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."

I must admit, that I love this way of seeing things!

And a last opne, a bit more sarcastic proverb: " When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either."

And to finnish, here's a picture of the rapporteurs after they finnished the report (I hope that's the one where everybody is on...):


It was a long night, so don't blame us for not being pretty anymore... ;)

Ah yeah, right, I again wanted to thank Pavels for opening up the blog, and for the many hilarious hours we had while drafting the conclusions!

Hope to see ya all soon!

E-Mail: m.mahidi@gmx.net

Phone number: +4369919231031

Mourad

No comments: